Sunday, May 5, 2013

Thenga Aracha Kozhi Curry - Chicken in Coconut Gravy

I always wanted to cook a decent chicken curry for my mom. However, I wasn't able to do for various reasons. Today also I had busy schedule despite being a Sunday! That's how it is when you have a bubbly 3 months old at home :)

So today, while running between my crying daughter, household chores, my personal work and many other tasks, I managed to cook this for my family :)

So that's how easy it is !


Ingredients
  1. Chicken Pieces - 20 medium size pieces
  2. Shallots - 30 , finely sliced
  3. Ginger - chopped , 4 tea spoons
  4. Garlic - chopped , 2 tea spoon
  5. Dry red chilly - 4
  6. Coriander- 5 to 6 (whole)
  7. Curry Leaves - a strand
  8. Green Chilly - 5 (crushed)
  9. Grated Coconut - 1 cup
  10. Turmeric Powder- 1 tea spoon
  11. Salt
  12. Coconut Oil
How to Make?
  1. Heat some oil in a kadai/wok.
  2. Saute onion and curry leaves.
  3. Once onion is golden brown add grated coconut.
  4. Continue to saute till coconut turns golden brown in color.
  5. Then, grind this to a smooth consistency while adding a little water.
  6. Heat some more oil in the kadai and saute some onions and green chilies. Add some salt while doing, this helps in onions to get cooked fast.
  7. Now saute turmeric powder.
  8. When the raw smell of turmeric has gone, add chicken pieces and water for it to get cooked..
  9. Let the chicken pieces get cooked . Simmer for a long time.
  10. Now add the blended mixture from step # 5 to this.
  11. Cook for some more time while mixing the curry well.
Serve this rice or appam :)
Note
  1. Instead of green chilies I used bird's eye chilly. They are hotter and healthier.
  2. Add tomato puree if you like a bit tangy taste.

No comments: