Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Steamed Chocolate Cake (Egg-less)

I really wanted to make a cake yes, not bake a cake! As I am not yet a proud owner of an OTG!!! I don't own an OTG and not a DSLR. I wanted to learn all techniques , before I can graduate to next level ( a conscious decision to curb the demands of my consumerist mind ;))

So,I started looking at alternatives of making a cake. I found methods like pressure cooking and steaming. Found that pressure cooker method to be not so safe , so dropped it! Thank God, I could find lot of blogs on steam cooking predominately by people from China. That's when I remembered , How I sued to love the steam cooked food from China Town, while I was in Atlanta,US. So I decided to go with steam cooking ! Here is the recipe, which has been referred from multiple sites.



Ingredients

  1. Curd - 1 Cup
  2. Sugar - 3/4 Cup
  3. Baking Soda - 1 Tsp
  4. Baking Powder - 1.5 Tsp
  5. Maida - 1.5 Cup
  6. Cocoa Powder - 3 Tbsp
  7. Oil - 1/2 Cup
  8. Vanilla Essence - 1 Tsp
How to Make?
  1. Beat Sugar and Curd well. There should not be any lumps left and sugar should get completely melt.
  2. Add Baking Soda and Baking Powder. Set aside for 5- 10 minutes. Bubbles will be formed by this time.
  3. Now add Vanilla and Oil and mix well.
  4. Sieve Maida and cocoa powder and add it to the mix. Mix all the ingredients well.
  5. Select a utensil, where you are planning to pour the mix. We will have to close this while cooking. You can use an aluminum foil. I used a steel tiffin box which had a lid. Smear butter on all sides of this utensil.
  6. Now we need to steam it. I used an Idli Maker. I kept one Idli tray and kept a utensil with the mix on top of it. So that no water will come in contact with the utensil. Water level was kept just below the tray.
  7. Switch on the flame and keep this at medium flame for close to 35 minutes. 
Notes: I used an Induction Stove and in between checked the status of the cake. By around 20 minutes, found that the center of the cake is still liquidy and decided to cook for another 15 minutes. The quantity of sugar can be increased as per your taste. With the proportions mentioned here, you will get a medium level sweetness only.

Hope you can all successfully make this cake. Let me know about your experience.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes Laxmy, it did come out well.. Thanks for the recipe.
-Nahila

LG said...

Thanks Nahila! Glad you enjoyed making the cake :) Will be soon posting on more cake recipes similar to this!