Saturday, December 8, 2012

Aval Varuthathu - Flattened Rice Flakes with banana

Remembering those times when evening snacks used to be made at home and not ordered from any food court outlet or ready to cook food. Snacks were Neyyappam, Unniyappom, Parippu Vada, Ulli Vada, Aval(flattened Rice flakes) Vilayichathu,etc;

Amma used to prepare each of these in the weekends . Both my grand moms were also experts in preparing such snacks which were also nutritious. Lack of funky machinery during their time didn't  discourage them from trying out different variations of the same snack ( of course they had a group of maids to help !)

My brother and I used to visit kitchen during such occasions and check the status of the food (quite frequently)
We used to fight on who gets to eat the first bite and gave our food reviews(blatant) then and there itself!

Here is a recipe with Aval(Flattened Rice Flakes) which is very quick to make as well as nutritious.

Aval Kerala Recipe, Flattened Rice flakes with banana

Ingredients

1. Flattened Rice Flakes
2. Jaggery
3. Grated Coconut
4. Banana

How to Make ?

1. Roast Flattened Rice Flakes, no need to add oil.
2. Mix roasted flakes with jaggery and grated coconut.
3. Before serving, mix well with banana.
Aval Kerala Recipe, Flattened Rice flakes with banana


While writing this, I am enjoying this dish and the crunchy rice flakes and soft banana is making a fusion inside my mouth. Thankfully a Tintin comics is also giving me company, reminding me of my golden childhood days!


No comments: