Monday, December 24, 2012

Vattayappam

Vattayappam
My first memory of Vattayappam goes to back a time when I was just 7 years old. It was a Christmas vacation and mom came with Vattayappam and I thought that, it is a kind of Idli :P She laughed at it and gave me a piece to taste. It was a bit sour and a bit sweet and frankly I didn't become a fan of it then. Later , I tasted Vattayappam at different times, different seasons and my relationship with it matured and so my love for it. This dish also forms an integral part of my Christmas memoirs.

I wanted to welcome this Christmas season with a slice of Vattayappam and a sip of Grape wine. I wish all of you a Merry Christmas and a great time with family and beautiful memories for a life time!

Now let's see the cooking process.Vattayappam
Ingredients

  1. Raw Rice - 1 cup
  2. Salt - 1 tea spoon
  3. Yeast
  4. Sugar - 3 teas spoon
  5. Cooked Rice - ½ cup
  6. Dried Raisins
  7. Roasted Cashew Nut
  8. Cardamom Powder
  9. Grated Coconut
How to Make?

  1. For Batter - Soak raw rice for about 2 hours.Grind rice along with grated coconut, cooked rice, salt and sugar.Add yeast and keep the batter overnight for fermentation.
  2. Now, add Dried Raisins (no need to fry this) and roasted cashew nuts to the batter along with cardamom powder. Mix well.
  3. Take a round pan and grease it well and pour the batter to it.
  4. Steam cook this, I used Idli Maker for this. 
  5. It tastes more, once cooled down.
Vattayappam


Vattayappam


No comments: