Saturday, August 31, 2013

Wheat Cake with Dates and Walnut

How to please a health conscious parent ? To be precise, one who hates Maida, sugar , butter and still wants to eat a cake :) Yeah, that is my mother! She and my dad were visiting us and were a great help in taking care of my daughter who was ill while I was at work. That's when I stumbled upon this recipe @ veg recipes of India. Here is it for all healthy snackers!

Ingredients

  1. Dates - Finely chopped - 1 Cup
  2. Walnut - Finely chopped - 1/2 Cup
  3. Milk - 1 Cup
  4. Instant Coffee - 2 tsp
  5. Wheat Flour - 2 Cup
  6. Baking Powder - 1 tsp
  7. Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
  8. Salt - a pinch
  9. Sugar - 1 Cup
  10. Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
  11. Oil - 1/2 Cup
  12. Water - 1 Cup


How to Make?

  1. Add instant coffee to the milk and dissolve the coffee powder completely.
  2. To this add chopped dates and keep it for 15 minutes.
  3. Now , sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt . this ensures that the mixture is uniform
  4. To the flour add milk with dates, vanilla essence, walnut, oil and water and mix to a uniform consistency.
  5. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degree C. Meanwhile grease a cake pan with butter and dust it with some flour.
  6. Pour the cake mixture to the pan and bake for 45 minutes.
  7. The cake will rise and the sides will turn brown when it is ready. Once done, I usually switch off the oven and let the cake cool down inside the oven itself. Later will take it out to cool off completely.
The cake is not too sweet and this made my mom happy, though she was a bit shocked when I told that 1 cup sugar is added. Well, it is too hard to please her 100% . But, we enjoyed the cake with tea and I also packed some slices for my parents :)



No comments: