Monday, September 9, 2013

Kozhukatta - Ganesh Chathurthi Special

Long weekends! who wouldn't just love it ? I was looking forward to it, so that I can spend more time with my 7 month old, who would otherwise spends her time at a daycare while her busy parents are at work. The reason for this long weekend was Ganesh Chathurthi, to be frank I familiarized with this festival only in the recent years. Back home in Kerala, I never used to celebrate this. However, my husband who is a Tamilian, fondly remembers this festival being celebrated at his home. The first two days of this weekend had gone and we were busy shopping , spending time with miss I,  ordering out most of the times and simply relaxing! That's when I thought I should celebrate this Ganesh Chathurthi , just like Mr G had done it years back, helping him to relive the good old times :) I asked him, what he wished and pat came the reply Kozhukattai :) So that's the story! Wishing you all a wonderful year ahead.

Ingredients

  1. Jaggery - Shredded - 1.5 Cup
  2. Coconut - Grated - 1,5 Cup
  3. Rice Powder - 2 Cup
  4. Ghee - 1 Tbp
  5. Water - as needed

How to Make?

For Filling

  1. Heat ghee in a pan.
  2. Add Jaggery to this and saute for 1 min.
  3. Now, add coconut, mix well.
  4. Continue to saute till lumps are formed. Then switch off the flame and let it cool down.
  5. Make small balls out of this mixture. These balls are the fillings of the kozhukatta.
For the covering
  1. Boil water in a bowl and let it cool down to a bit above room temperature.
  2. Take a little of this water and add flour to this. The amount of water can be gradually increased, if you think it is needed to knead the flour.
  3. Mix well, so that a slightly sticky flour is formed. You will not able to see any water present at this stage.
  4. Make small balls out of this, then flatten a bit.
  5. Place the filling inside this and cover the filling.
  6. Cook it in a steamer for 10-12 minutes. 

Enjoy!

No comments: