Sunday, October 28, 2012

Medu Vada - Deep Fried Black Gram Balls

Medu Vada or Uzhunnu Vada is my favorite snack. My dad used to bring it home while coming back from office. Even now, after all these years if I am at home, my dad will bring it while coming back from work and I just love it!

After my marriage, both me and my husband had tried making it. However, we had to just satisfy ourselves from the aroma of fried ginger and curry leaves which had slipped away from the watery batter into the oil.

This time we were lucky and here is the recipe to success :)


Ingredients

  1. Urad Dal
  2. Salt
  3. Curry Leaves - Finely Sliced
  4. Ginger - Finely Sliced
  5. Green Chilly - Finely Sliced
  6. Shallots
  7. Oil

How to Make?
  1. Soak Urad Dal for 3-4 hours.
  2. Grind the soaked urad dal with no water to a smooth paste.
  3. Mix the dal with curry leaves, ginger, salt , shallots and green chilly.
  4. Keep the mixture aside for 10 minutes.
  5. Heat oil in a pan.
  6. Roll the vada mixture to a spherical shape and make a hole in the middle.
  7. Gently push it to the boiling oil and cook it till done.

Note
  1. If you are not able to grind the dal with out water, add a bit of water. If you find the batter to be watery, add a bit of rice flour to balance.
  2. The hole in the Vada can be made immediately after dropping the vada into the oil.
Enjoy this with a hot tea and chutney!


No comments: